Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Guest Blogger Amanda Evans - The time I nearly killed my husband and his father

Now, don't get me wrong, I dearly love my husband (the Pizza-holic himself) and his father is a wonderful man.

It all started months back. My husband and his father were discussing the lighting in the living room and dining room. We have a small house with just 2 lights shared between the two areas, nothing over the table itself.

They decided that we needed more light. To achieve this, they decided we needed a chandelier in the dining nook.

THE NOOK!!!!

It's a 5x9 area in the corner and is open to the rest of the room. It was also decided to move one of the living room lights to be more in the middle of the room, away from the table.

My husband decided that since we'd be doing all that work, we should also add 2 can lights above the front door and one into the hallway.

Now to the problem itself...

Some weeks back, I decided I would host Thanksgiving, making a turkey and ham for everyone in the family. Now, not everyone would be coming, his 2 sisters and his niece live in California and his 2 brothers were visiting their respective girlfriends families. However his parents, my parents, my 3 brothers, plus 2 grandparents, a sister-in-law and my niece would be coming over - 14 people when all is said and done.

I should also mention that this is the first Thanksgiving dinner I've made, not only in our 14 year marriage, but in my life.

For the last 18 years, we've been enjoying 2 holiday meals, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, by going to his parents early, my parents late, or vice versa, so it's about time I started pulling my own weight.

Now back to my confession story...

Saturday, November 19, 2011, hubs decides to invite his dad over to start on the lights...

FOUR DAYS BEFORE THANKSGIVING!!!!!

I was going to clean the house between Saturday and Sunday, with touch up cleaning Wednesday after work, devoting Thursday to food.

So, instead of a clean living room Saturday night, I have drywall dust everywhere and 4 horribly patched holes in my walls and ceiling.

"Why don't we clean up the living room now?" my husband asks me.

My reply? "There is no use until we're done with the drywall patching - otherwise it's mop the floor every day. Sure, we can sweep and vacuum, but mop? No, there's no way I'm fighting that battle."

So, I cleaned the mudroom and most of the kitchen counters. Cleaned the clutter in the living room and daily sanded and patched the holes in the wall and ceiling. Monday (T-Minus 3days) I applied 2 coats of primer on the ceiling. Late, before bed, I also was able to apply the first coat of ceiling paint

Yay! Progress!!!

When I got home Tuesday, Hubby had applied the second coat to the ceiling and I primed the wall patches. Their first coat of paint went on before I went to bed, they were finished Wednesday when I got home from work.

So, Wednesday, by myself because hubby is at work, I have to:

Clean the living room of plaster dust
Mop that floor
Clean the kitchen counters, floor and appliances
Clean the bathrooms and hallway

Oh yeah, I also have to:

Brine the turkey which is still partially frozen
Boil and peel eggs for the deviled eggs
Figured out if I've forgotten anything

BUT! since my ceiling and walls don't have holes in them I don't have to kill my husband and his father or figure out what to do with the bodies...

So I have all that time to use before Thanksgiving.



P.S.

Thanksgiving went great, the turkey was moist, the ham tender, the deviled eggs were decimated, people had fun and that's all that matters in the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment